After two years I still loathe Eclipse, and my former love NetBeans is now from a bad neighborhood, and more and more people I respect are switching to IntelliJ Idea. So I thought I’d give it a try, since I’m just starting on a project that might grow large-ish. This is going to be a diary of the experience, heavily loaded with GoogleBait in case others encounter some of the same pain points that are inevitable in such a transition.
I had real trouble, perhaps because my Eclipse setup is a little nonstandard; the “workspace” directory isn’t the one the actual projects live in. Eventually I got IntelliJ to realize that the current guinea-pig project was a ”module“ and even apparently try to compile it, but then when I ran it, I was up against a brick wall of “Error: Module not specified”, and the drop-down from which you pick the module didn’t have any to pick.
Lots of random poking around made it obvious that Idea didn’t realize that
$(PROJECT)/src directory was where the source was, and I found that
the menu produced by right-clicking on it included “Mark directory as” with an
option to mark it as “Source Root”. Then everything sort of fell into
place, and I could run the project on my phone.
I’ve remarked before that picking up a new IDE is always going to be tough, because the first thing you have to do is create a project, and that has to be one of the most gnarly, complex, option-laden functions any IDE provides.
Next Steps · First I need to get my emacs navigation keystrokes back, then I need to figure out what Idea is actually doing when it lets me place the cursor in floating whitespace 30 past the end of a line (not inserting spaces, I really hope).