I’m abusing my blog with an appeal for help; all those who aren’t Debian experts in a helpful mood can skip over this one.
My ISP requires that I connect with PPPOE for some reason or another; my
Debian-box gateway has been doing this fine for some months.
Because we do a bit of low-grade web serving, we’ve arranged for a static IP
I’m having the dickens of a time getting it to work.
Right now, my
/etc/network/interfaces looks like this:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8) # The loopback interface auto lo iface lo inet loopback # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation auto eth0 iface eth0 inet dhcp
So I fixed the
etho0 like so, where
the new static IP (although I think with PPP in the
way it doesn’t make any difference:
iface eth0 inet static address 220.127.116.11 netmask 255.255.255.0
/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider used to look like this (stripped
user tbray pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1412" noipdefault defaultroute usepeerdns hide-password lcp-echo-interval 20 lcp-echo-failure 3 connect /bin/true noauth persist mtu 1492
All I did was replace the
18.104.22.168: per (I thought) the man page.
When it comes up now,
ifconfig says it has the right IP address,
but I can’t ping anything or get anywhere.
I poked around in
/var/log/* and indeed there a various
ppp in them in logfiles here and there, but my
eye isn’t educated enough to figure out which might be significant.
If someone comes back to me on this one, I’ll post the solution here, and the Google visibility here at ongoing is good enough that it should be easy to find for other people with the same problem.