The kinds of balls that go on the ends of cables hanging from cranes I mean; don’t even know what they’re called. These particular balls and cables and cranes are on the Ground Zero site in lower Manhattan.

Ground Zero Balls
· · ·
Ground Zero Balls

You don’t realize how big it is till you walk around it.


Comment feed for ongoing:Comments feed

From: John Cowan (Mar 20 2009, at 14:19)

I call them wrecking balls.


From: Speed (Mar 20 2009, at 15:14)

They're called "overhaul balls."

" ... overhaul balls supply the downfall weight necessary to counter bearing friction and winch-to-boom-tip line weight."


From: Jeff Dairiki (Mar 24 2009, at 09:36)

I've always heard them referred to as "Headache Balls".


From: len (Mar 25 2009, at 12:16)

Ground Zero Balls. Good name for a band. Bad product for a butcher.


author · Dad
colophon · rights

March 20, 2009
· The World (148 fragments)
· · Places
· · · New York (4 more)
· Arts (11 fragments)
· · Photos (980 more)

By .

The opinions expressed here
are my own, and no other party
necessarily agrees with them.

A full disclosure of my
professional interests is
on the author page.

I’m on Mastodon!